The Church of St. Anna and St. Ruzena Limanska was built onto the monastery over a period of almost ten years to the design of Jakub Auguston, and was completed a year after his death in 1735.
It is one of the most outstanding works of this Plzen architect in Baroque. The entrance is linked to the protruding corners of the towers and is completed by two domed superstructures joined by a rectangular gable finished in triangular fashion and a wall niche with a statue of St. Anna.
Inside there are frescoes by F. Julius Lux (in the presbytery The Most Holy Trinity, in the central field St. Anna is introducing the Virgin Mary to the church service, above the choir-stalls the Virgin Mary is taking Dominican monks and nuns under her protective cloak, below the choir-stalls Christ is appearing to St. Ruzena Limanska).
In the 1950s the church was loaned to the Orthodox Church. After modifications an icon was installed in front of the Baroque altar. The architect Jakub Auguston, jr. (c. 1670-1735) is buried in the crypt.
The front of the church and monastery face onto P. Bezruc Street, at the end of which no. 31 has sgraffiti by M. Ales of St. Wenceslas, St. George, a page and a dragon.
Copyright © 2002 City of Plzen. All Rights Reserved.