The remains of the city walls behind house ref.no. 58 are an 88 ft long section of the city fortifications from around 1300: they are 23 ft high and the moated wall is from the 17th century.
The city walls continue further behind houses ref. nos. 301-307 from the late 18th and the 19th century; they form the so-called Plzen city "cvingr" - small craftsmen's houses, attached at the rear to the city walls. Another part of the city's fortifications were the Baroque bastions (panel fortifications jutting out) built in Plzen 1645-1649 by Colonel Jan Lacron. One has been preserved in 5th May Gardens (sady 5. kvetna), diagonally opposite the water tower. It was washed by the mill-race which ran from the Radbuza under today's museum and butchers' shops to the former lord's mill.
In Krizik Gardens (Krizikovy sady) on the lower side of the Butchers' shops (Masne kramy) there is a statue of St.Jan of Nepomuk by Ottavius Mott from 1685, based on the statue by Brokoff on Charles Bridge in Prague.
The statue originally stood on the bridge across the Radbuza, a location known as "Johns' Place" (U Jana), and was transferred to its present site in 1934.
Copyright © 2002 City of Plzen. All Rights Reserved.