Butchers' Shops (Masne kramy) ref. no. 353 (Prazska Street no. 18) have been located here since 1392, having been transferred from the square to the area of the city moat between the inner and outer walls.
In the Renaissance then Neo-Gothic period in the mid-19th century, they were modified and received Gothic battlements. The interior has a three-part nave basilican cross-section. Around the centre of the nave there used to be two rows of butchers' shops with right-angled Gothic portals opening onto the inner area of the building. 31 of them have been preserved.
1967-1971 the building was modified to the design of architect Frantisek Matejovic and became an exhibition hall of the West Bohemian Gallery.
The street between the butchers' shops and neighbouring building used to be the first city abbatoir.
Copyright © 2002 City of Plzen. All Rights Reserved.